Indicator 8 Special Education Family Survey
Each year, Ohio’s school districts and community schools send surveys to families of students with individualized education programs (IEPs). This annual survey provides important information that can further inform family engagement efforts by schools, districts, state support teams and the Ohio Department of Education.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that districts collect parent involvement data for their students with IEPs at least once every six years, as part of Indicator 8 (20 U.S.C. 1416(a)(3)(B)). This year, the Department partnered with the Center on Education and Training for Employment and Ohio’s Statewide Family Engagement Center at The Ohio State University to collect data using a short, online parent survey.
Several enhancements have streamlined the survey process:
- The new survey is short and mobile friendly. Districts can send the information and links through their existing electronic communications with families.
- With the OSU team coordinating survey collection, districts now have minimal steps to manage the survey administration:
- Disseminate the survey invitation in communications to parents, families and caregivers;
- Complete a short dissemination inventory to document the district’s attempts and communication channels for sending the survey; and
- Send the completed inventory to the OSU team as verification the district has met the survey requirements.
- The survey only takes about 10 minutes to complete. Enhancements to the survey process are resulting in higher response rates at the district and state levels. The OSU team provides survey results to each participating district to assist in their family engagement efforts.
Each year’s cohort will represent a cross section of districts designed to provide an annual survey sample that is representative of Ohio’s overall population of students with disabilities. Participation in the survey satisfies a district’s survey requirements for the next six-year cycle.
The Department appreciates the efforts to collect this valuable information to help Ohio meet the needs of children with disabilities and their families.
Districts that have been selected to participate in the Special Education Family Survey may send questions to email@example.com.
This survey is a collaboration among:
Last Modified: 1/5/2021 12:04:08 PM