Apply for a New License

Administrators, teachers (including substitutes), treasurers, coaches, educational aides and pupil services personnel are among those who need Department of Education licenses, permits or registrations to work in an Ohio school or district. Applicants may review the steps of the Department’s licensure process and other useful information regarding the online application system in the downloadable Understanding the Educator Licensure Process document. Additional information and resources are listed below to guide applicants. 

Connected Ohio Records for Educators System (CORE) User Manual. Everyone must apply through the Ohio Department of Education's online CORE system for new licenses or permits, renewals and to add areas to existing licenses.

License Types. Applicants should review the list of license types and teaching field codes before submitting their online application. 

Out-of-State Applicants. Individuals who completed an out-of-state licensure program should review important information and requirements before beginning the online application process. 

Tutor Ohio Kids Program. The Ohio Department of Education issues one-year registrations under Ohio law to individuals who wish to participate as tutors in the Tutor Ohio Kids program. All interested candidates must first contact the Educational Service Center of Central Ohio for information and requirements. Applicants may download and print the Tutor Registration Application Checklist for guidance through the Department’s tutor registration application process.

Learn about Credential Types and Requirements 

Click the credential type below to view information and requirements on each licensure webpage.

Background Checks

All applicants must have current background checks on file with the Department.

Military Families

  • Military Fee Waiver. The Ohio Department of Education has eliminated licensure fees for veterans with honorable discharges or current service members of all branches of the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard or Reserve, and the Ohio Military Reserve or Ohio Naval Militia (under the Ohio Adjutant General) as well as spouses of active duty service members to recognize the contributions of military families.
  • Temporary Military Licenses. Temporary licenses are available for active duty service members and their spouses who are currently licensed in another state.

Application Instructions

  • Access your OH|ID account.
  • Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
  • Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
  • See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.

Related Links

Last Modified: 7/20/2023 9:50:01 AM