12-Hour and 40-Hour Temporary Teaching Permit
The Ohio Department of Education issues 12-hour and 40-hour temporary teaching permits under Ohio law1 to non-licensed individuals who have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in OR significant work experience in the subject area to be taught and have been hired to teach in an Ohio school district or STEM school.
Educators may teach only the subject area(s) listed on the temporary permit.
12-Hour Temporary Teaching Permit
Educators are limited to teaching 12 hours a week in the subject area(s) listed on the permit. The one-year permit is valid only in the requesting Ohio school district.
40-Hour STEM School Permit
Educators are limited to teaching 40 hours a week in the subject area(s) listed on the permit. The one-year permit is valid only in the requesting Ohio STEM school. Please see the STEM and STEAM School Designation webpage to view the list of Ohio schools with STEM Designation.
Please DO NOT apply for a 12-hour or 40-hour permit (new or renewal) through the Department’s online system until you have completed the two steps below. Otherwise, your application may be declined.
- Complete the employment process at the Ohio school or district where you are interested in teaching.
- Verify with your school or district that you need the permit for your employment. Please note that you must select your employing Ohio school or district in the online application. When you submit your application, it will automatically go to them first for approval before coming to the Department.
This permit is issued to non-licensed individuals only, in accordance with Ohio law2. Do not apply for the temporary teaching permit if you hold or have ever held a standard, alternative or substitute teaching license.
The employing Ohio school district or STEM school shall assign a licensed supervisor to the temporary permit holder and provide initial orientation and support in effective teaching methods, in accordance with Ohio law1.
Documents to Submit with Your Application
You must submit the onlie application and all required documentation in order to be evaluated for the temporary permit. Please upload the following documents through your OH|ID account with your online application:
- Official transcripts – If your permit will be issued based on your degree in the subject area (bachelor’s degree or higher) from an accredited college or university, please be prepared to scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format to your OH|ID account. Please see the Instructions for Submitting Transcripts before uploading your transcripts. You may also view a short video tutorial on how to scan and upload transcripts.
- Verification of experience – If your permit will be issued based on your work experience in the subject area, please submit an original letter, on the employer’s letterhead, signed and dated by the human resources director verifying your dates of full-time employment and job duties. Do not submit third party verification of employment.
Additional Requirements for EMTS & Firefighters
EMT/Firefighter certification – You must provide verification of your active Ohio EMS certification(s) and instructor card(s).
- An active Ohio EMS certification for EMT, AEMT or Paramedic, AND
- An active Ohio EMS Instructor card (CE Instructor and Assistant EMS Instructor are not eligible).
Firefighter Training requires:
- An active Ohio EMS certification for Firefighter I or II, AND
- An active Ohio EMS Fire Instructor card (Assistant Firefighter Instructor and Fire Safety Instructor are not eligible). The Live Fire Instructor card is eligible only if the candidate also holds an active Ohio EMS Fire Instructor card.
You must have current background checks on file with the Department. Please see the Background Check FAQs webpage for more information.
If you live outside of Ohio, please email the Office of Educator Licensure at the Ohio Department of Education to request fingerprint cards.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 10/18/2021 9:29:45 AM