12-Hour and 40-Hour Temporary Teaching Permit
The Ohio Department of Education issues 12-hour and 40-hour temporary teaching permits to non-licensed individuals who have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in OR significant work experience in the subject area to be taught and have been hired to teach in an Ohio school district or STEM school (in accordance with rule 3301-23-41 of Ohio Administrative Code).
Educators may teach only the subject area(s) listed on the temporary permit.
12-Hour Temporary Teaching Permit: Educators are limited to teaching 12 hours a week in the subject area(s) listed on the permit. The one-year permit is valid only in the requesting Ohio school district.
40-Hour STEM School Permit: Educators are limited to teaching 40 hours a week in the subject area(s) listed on the permit. The one-year permit is valid only in the requesting Ohio STEM school. Please click here to view the list of Ohio schools with STEM Designation.
Please DO NOT apply for a 12-hour or 40-hour permit (new or renewal) through the Department’s online system until you have completed the two steps below. Otherwise, your application may be declined.
- Complete the employment process at the Ohio school or district where you are interested in teaching.
- Verify with your school or district that you need the permit for your employment. Please note that you must select your employing Ohio school/district in the online application. When you submit your application, it will automatically go to them first for approval before coming to the Department.
Under section 3319.301 of Ohio Revised Code, this permit is for non-licensed individuals only. Do not apply for the temporary teaching permit if you hold or have ever held a standard, alternative or substitute teaching license.
The employing Ohio school district or STEM school shall assign a licensed supervisor to the temporary permit holder and provide initial orientation and support in effective teaching methods (in accordance with rule 3301-23-41 of Ohio Administrative Code).
Documents to Submit with Your Application
You must submit an application and all required documentation in order to be evaluated for the temporary permit. Please upload the following documents through your OH|ID account with your online application:
Official transcripts – If your permit will be issued based on your degree in the subject area (bachelor’s degree or higher), please be prepared to scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format to your OH|ID account. Please note that we cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Before uploading your transcripts, please see the following requirements. You may also click here for a video tutorial on scanning and uploading transcripts:
- The date your degree was awarded must be visible.
- Include all pages of the transcript (front and back).
- The registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
- Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately).
- Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
- Do not submit transcripts that will expire or are password protected or locked.
- If you would prefer to mail your original, official transcripts, please use the following address:
Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensure
25 S. Front Street
Mail Stop 504
Columbus, OH 43215
- International Credentials – You must provide a course-by-course analysis from a Department approved international credential evaluation service for college coursework completed outside the United States. Please see our list of approved organizations
- Please view our transcript video tutorial and tips & tricks here.
- Electronic transcripts – Only the issuing college/university may send transcripts electronically to email@example.com.
Verification of experience – If your permit will be issued based on your work experience in the subject area, please submit an original letter, on the employer’s letterhead, signed and dated by the human resources director verifying your dates of full-time employment and job duties. Please so not submit third party verification of employment.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR EMTS & FIREFIGHTERS
EMT/Firefighter certification – You must provide verification of your active Ohio EMS certification(s) and instructor card(s).
- An active Ohio EMS certification for EMT, AEMT or Paramedic, AND
- An active Ohio EMS Instructor card (CE Instructor and Assistant EMS Instructor are not eligible).
Firefighter Training requires:
- An active Ohio EMS certification for Firefighter I or II, AND
- An active Ohio EMS Fire Instructor card (Assistant Firefighter Instructor and Fire Safety Instructor are not eligible). The Live Fire Instructor card is eligible only if the candidate also holds an active Ohio EMS Fire Instructor card.
You must submit BCI and FBI background checks for initial licensure. Please see our Background Check FAQs for information.
If you live outside of Ohio, please email the Office of Educator Licensure at the Ohio Department of Education to request fingerprint cards.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 3/9/2021 9:48:04 AM