Educational Aide and Student Monitor Permits

LICENSURE RENEWAL UPDATE. As a result of the ongoing coronavirus health crisis and in accordance with the passage of House Bill 404 of the 133rd General Assembly, all licenses and permits previously set to expire on July 1, 2020, have been extended, including educational aide and student monitor permits. These licenses and permits will remain valid until July 1, 2021, to allow additional time for educators who need to complete requirements for renewal.

The Ohio Department of Education issues educational aide and student monitor permits to applicants who meet qualifications and who have been hired by school systems to serve in their districts (in accordance with rules found in chapter 3301-25 of Ohio Administrative Code).

Schools, districts and educational service centers may download and print the Educational Aide Permit Checklist to guide applicants through the licensure process.

Preliminary Steps - First-time and Renewal of Permits (Aides and Monitors)

Learn more before applying. If you are applying for a first-time permit or wish to review information about these permits before renewal, click on the desired permit name here:

Contact a school or district. Please DO NOT apply for this permit (new or renewal) through ODE’s online system until you have completed the two steps below; otherwise, your application may be declined. The steps are:

  • Complete the employment process at the Ohio school or district where you are interested in serving as an educational aide.
  • Notify the school or district that you will be selecting them to electronically sign your application. 

Do you have a current background check? All licensed educators must have a current background check for a license to be issued. For more information, click here

About Educational Aide Permits

These permits qualify an individual to perform educational assistant duties in a school, including the supervision of students and assistance with instructional tasks (in accordance with section 3319.088 of Ohio Revised Code).

Educational Aide Permit (1-Year). This permit, new or renewal, may be issued at the request of an employing school or district to an individual who holds a high school diploma or the equivalent. 

Educational Aide Permit (4-Year). This permit may be issued to an individual who holds a high school diploma or the equivalent, and who has successfully performed their duties for a minimum of one full school year under a one-year educational aide permit. 

Addition of the ESEA Qualified Endorsement. ESEA stands for the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act, or No Child Left Behind, which requires educational aides or paraprofessionals working in Title I settings to meet certain qualifications. Please click here to view information regarding who is required to hold the ESEA endorsement.

To add the “ESEA qualified” endorsement to an educational aide permit, the individual must have successfully completed one of the following: 

  • The examination for paraprofessionals prescribed by the State Board of Education (ParaPro). Please request the score for this test to be reported directly to the Ohio Department of Education by the Educational Testing Service. For more information, click here.
  • An associate degree (or higher) from an accredited institution of higher education; or at least two years of study at an accredited institution of higher education (defined as 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours). Please be prepared to scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format to your OH|ID account. Please note that we cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Before uploading your transcripts, please see the following requirements. You may also click here for a video tutorial on scanning and uploading transcripts:
    • The date your degree was awarded must be visible.
    • Include all pages of the transcript (front and back).
    • The registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
    • Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately).
    • Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
    • Electronic transcripts may only be sent directly from the issuing college/university to
    • Please do not submit transcripts that will expire or are password protected or locked.
    • If you would prefer to mail your original, official transcripts, please use the following address: 

      Ohio Department of Education
      Office of Educator Licensure
      25 S. Front Street
      Mail Stop 504
      Columbus, OH 43215

    • International Credentials: You must provide a course-by-course analysis from a Department approved international credential evaluation service for college coursework completed outside the United States. Please see our list of approved organizations
    • Please view our transcript video tutorial and tips & tricks here

About Student Monitor Permits

Student monitor permits qualify an individual to perform assistant duties that do not involve assistance with instructional tasks, such as supervising children on the bus, playground, cafeteria or other non-instructional tasks. 

Student Monitor Permit – 1 Year. This permit, new or renewal, may be issued at the request of an employing school or district to an individual who holds a high school diploma or the equivalent.

Application Instructions

  • Access your OH|ID account.
  • Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
  • Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
  • See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.

Related Links

Last Modified: 6/30/2021 3:40:10 PM