Non-tax Certificate for Non-public Teachers and Administrators
The Ohio Department of Education issues non-tax certificates under Ohio law1 to those who will serve as teachers or administrators in Ohio nonpublic schools.
The nontax certificate is available in the following areas:
Permanent Non-Tax Certificate
Valid for teaching, administration and supervision in Ohio chartered nonpublic schools.
Candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree conferred from an accredited college or university.
Permanent Non-tax Certificate – Non-tax, Non-bachelor’s
Valid only for teaching world languages, music, religion, computer technology or fine arts in Ohio chartered non-public schools.
The superintendent or chief administrative officer must verify candidates’ qualifications to teach in the available teaching fields.
Permanent Non-tax Certificate – Non-chartered, Non-tax Supported Schools
Valid only for teaching in a non-chartered, non-tax supported school.
Candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree conferred or a diploma from a bible college or bible institute as described in state law2.
APPLICANTS WILL COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING STEPS FOR THE LICENSURE APPLICATION PROCESS.
- STEP 1: Meet education requirements for the substitute license. You must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or a diploma from a bible college or bible institute (except for non-tax, non-bachelor’s certificates).
- STEP 2: Contact the nonpublic school. DO NOT apply for this license through the Department's online system until you have completed the following; otherwise, your application will be declined. You must:
- Complete the employment process at the Ohio nonpublic school for which you are interested in serving as a teacher or administrator; and
- Notify the employing organization and request the employer's IRN to use in the online application; the organization's e-signer must approve your license application.
- STEP 3: Complete your background checks. You must have current background checks on file with the Department. Please see the Background Check FAQs webpage for more information.
- STEP 4: Prepare your transcripts. You must submit your official transcripts reflecting your bachelor's degree (except for non-tax, non-bachelor’s certificates). Please see the Instructions for Submitting Transcripts before uploading transcripts. You may also view a short video tutorial on how to scan and upload transcripts.
- STEP 5: Complete and submit your online application.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 9/20/2021 2:58:03 PM