Visiting International Teacher License
The Ohio Department of Education issues three-year visiting international teacher licenses under Ohio law1
to applicants who meet qualifications and have been hired to teach in Ohio schools or districts via an exchange program or other recruitment effort. The license is issued at the request of an employing Ohio school or district for a visiting teacher who is a citizen of another country. The non-renewable license will be valid only in the employing school or district and only for the grade levels and subject areas listed on the license. Applicants, schools and districts may download and print the Visiting International Teacher License Application Checklist
for guidance through the licensure application process.
Candidates must have completed both of the following:
- The US equivalent of a bachelor’s degree; and
- A traditional educator preparation program. Note that candidates may be hired to teach either of the following:
- The grade levels and subject areas of the educator preparation program they completed, or
- Their native language.
Candidates should review the list of available teaching licenses before completing the online application.
The international teacher license will be issued only at the request of an employing Ohio school or district to international citizens who have been hired to teach via a teacher exchange program or other recruitment effort. Licensure applications must be approved by the employing school or district e-signer before they will be processed by the Department for issuance of the license.
Visiting international teachers who wish to continue teaching in an Ohio school or district beyond the three-year validity period of the license may request a two-year extension (approval of both the employing Ohio school or district and the U.S. Department of State are required). Applicants must provide sufficient evidence of their J-1 Visa extension with the online application to extend their visiting international teacher license.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application for the Visiting International Teacher License – 3 Year from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 1/20/2023 10:03:06 AM