Instructional Assistant Permit – Autism Scholarship
The Ohio Department of Education issues one-year instructional assistant permits under Ohio law1 to individuals who meet qualifications and have been hired by a registered private provider under the Autism Scholarship Program. Please note that other requirements of the registered private provider apply under Ohio law2 for this permit.
Autism Scholarship Program providers may download and print the Instructional Assistant Permit Checklist to guide applicants through the licensure process.
Who may apply for this permit? This permit is for individuals who provide services to children under the Autism Scholarship Program only. These services include the supervision of children and assistance with instructional tasks.
Candidates must complete the following before applying for this permit (new or renewal) through the Department’s online system:
- Obtain employment as an instructional assistant with the registered private provider; AND
- Notify the registered provider and request their IRN to use in the online application; the organization's e-signer must approve the license application.
Background checks. All applicants must have current background checks on file with the Department.
Coursework requirements. Candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
Applicants may renew their one-year instructional assistant permit provided they have met employment requirements and completed the following:
- Successfully performed instructional tasks; AND
- Completed in-service training.
Please note that the registered private provider verifies all renewal requirements.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard. This application is housed under the Nonpublic School Teachers and Administrators category in the online application.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 6/13/2022 1:57:23 PM