School Business Manager License
Candidates must complete either an approved university program for the school business manager license OR the following educational and field experience components:
A baccalaureate degree in business
A baccalaureate degree in a nonbusiness area with 15 semester hours selected from at least four (4) of the following areas:
- Collective bargaining and labor relations
- Computer applications
- Food service management
- Office administration
- Personnel management
- School finance
- School law
- Risk management
- Transportation management
- School plant management and operations
Field Experience Requirements
Candidates may meet the field experience component through completion of a 300-hour internship in a school business manager’s office, under the direct supervision of a licensed school business manager.
The 300-hour internship should be an individualized, mutually developed series of experiences reflective of the results of an assessment of the educational needs of the intern as related to the role, functions, and responsibilities of the business manager.
The 300 hours should be well distributed over the following:
- Overview of business office responsibilities
- Supervision and management of district business affairs
- Budget development and long-range financial planning
- Management of district real estate and insurance programs
- Supervision of support services in the areas of purchasing, food services and transportation
- Personnel management of all clerical, business and support staff
- Supervision of facility maintenance, construction and alteration
- Coordination of safety programs including fire inspection and prevention, weather alerts, energy conservation and school bus safety inspection.
Candidates must use the School Business Manager Internship verification form for field experience verification.
Candidates may use two years of experience as a business manager or as a supervisor or director of business services in an organizational setting in place of a supervised 300-hour school business manager internship.
This experience must be at the level of either chief or assistant (deputy) business manager or director, and must be representative of the broad range of functions associated with the school business manager position.
Areas of responsibility must include at least four of the following:
- Facilities maintenance
- Facilities construction and expansion
- Real estate management
- Insurance and risk management
- Food services
- Health and safety programs
- Personnel management
- Budget development and long-range planning
Candidates must submit one of the following with the licensure application:
- A letter from their employer (human resources director, treasurer, CEO, or the like) verifying their work experience. Letters must be on company letterhead, signed and dated by the employer, and include the candidate’s job description and duties and dates of employment; OR
- The Work Experience Verification form completed by the employer and submitted directly to the Department along with a job description document. Employers may either email the completed form and job description to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail both documents to:
Ohio Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensure
25 S. Front Street
Mail Stop 504
Columbus, OH 43215
Requirements for Renewal
The professional license is valid for five years and may be renewed by individuals currently employed in a school or school district upon verification that the following requirements have been completed since the last issue date of the license to be renewed:
Each licensed individual is responsible for the design of an individual professional development plan, subject to approval of the LPDC. The plan shall be based on the needs of the individual, the students, the school, and the school district.
Coursework or continuing education units or other equivalent activities may be combined.
Not Currently Employed
School business manager license holders may renew their currently expiring professional license with the following:
- RENEWAL COURSEWORK - Six (6) semester hours of coursework related to the area of licensure through an accredited college or university, OR
- OHIO ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOL BUSINESS OFFICIALS (OASBO) LPDC APPROVED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT – see the OASBO LPDC webpage for information and requirements.
Instructions for Submitting Official Transcripts
Applicants must submit their official transcripts from an accredited college or university. Applicants should review the Instructions for Submitting Transcripts before uploading their transcripts. Applicants may also view a short video tutorial on how to scan and upload transcripts.
All applicants must have current background checks on file with the Department.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application form from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 7/6/2023 7:56:43 AM