How to Transition a Certificate to a License
As of Sept. 2, 2002, all expired or expiring four-year provisional or eight-year professional certificates must be transitioned to a five-year professional license at the time of renewal.
Coursework Requirements For Transition
- No pre-approval of coursework: Applicants do not need to seek pre-approval of coursework from the Ohio Department of Education. The Department DOES NOT pre-approve coursework. Applicants should select coursework related to classroom teaching and/or area of licensure.
- Accreditation: Coursework must be completed at an accredited college or university. Click here to find accredited institutions approved to offer Educator Preparation programs in the state of Ohio.
- Dates of coursework: Applicants who wish to renew their licenses must have completed coursework after the issue date of the license they wish to renew.
- Course requirements for certificates that have lapsed for up to five years: Complete nine semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education.
- Course requirements for certificates that have lapsed more than five years: Complete twelve semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education.
Note: If, during the lapsed period of the certificate, the certificate holder is continuously employed under another valid, standard Ohio certificate or license, or as an educator in another state under a currently valid certificate or license, then the renewal requirements for "Currently Expiring Licenses" apply.
Pupil Services Certificate Transitions
Transition of the following certificates to a five-year professional license may be obtained by an individual who evidences a currently valid license issued by the respective Ohio licensure board.
- School audiologist
- School nurse
- School social worker
- Occupational therapist
- School speech-language pathologist
- Physical therapist
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 1/15/2021 8:04:25 AM