How to Transition or Advance a Two-Year Provisional License

Please Note: if you need information regarding the TWO-year provisional career-technical workforce development license, please visit the career tech teacher preparation and licenses webpage.

TEACHERS. Ohio’s Resident Educator license replaced the Two-Year Provisional license for beginning teachers in 2011. If you have not yet met the requirements to advance your two-year provisional teaching license, you must complete the Ohio Resident Educator Program (Ohio's teacher induction program). You must hold an active resident educator license for enrollment in the Ohio Resident Educator Program. 

PRINCIPALS AND SCHOOL COUNSELORS. You may complete the application to Advance to a professional principal or pupil services license. No coursework, exams or work experience is required to advance your two-year provisional license. Please note that you also have the option to Align your new professional principal or pupil services license to your existing (active) professional license. Please see the Licensure Alignment FAQs webpage for more information.

If you hold a two-year provisional license issued prior to 2017, please complete an online application for one of the following:

  • Transition to a resident educator license, or
  • Advance to a professional license with verification of your eligibility (please see requirements below).
BACKGROUND CHECKS. Note that all applicants must have current background checks on file with the Ohio State Board of Education. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I TRANSITION My Two-Year Provisional License To A Resident Educator License?

If you held a two-year provisional license (issued prior to 2017), you will complete the online application to Transition from your two-year provisional license to a resident educator license. There are no coursework or exam requirements to transition to a resident educator license. You must complete the Ohio Resident Educator Program (Ohio's teacher induction program) and pass RESA to advance to a professional educator license.

Back to Top

How Do I ADVANCE My Two-Year Provisional License To A Professional License?

TEACHERS. If you have taught for at least two full school years outside of Ohio under a standard out-of-state teaching license issued in that state, you may apply to Advance to a professional teaching license. If you have not met this work experience requirement, please apply to Transition to a resident educator license.

Please submit the following documents with your online application to Advance from your two-year provisional license to a professional teaching license:

  • Teaching license Submit a copy of your out-of-state teaching license(s) verifying standard licensure each school year you taught; and
  • Verification of work experience  Provide verification of your teaching experience under your currently valid, out-of-state teaching license. Provide the Work Experience Verification form to your out-of-state school or district human resources director or superintendent to complete and submit directly to the State Board of Education. Your school may either email the completed form to or mail it (originals only) to:
    Ohio State Board of Education
    Office of Educator Licensure & Effectiveness
    25 S. Front Street
    Mail Stop 504
    Columbus, OH 43215

PRINCIPALS AND SCHOOL COUNSELORS. If you hold a two-year provisional principal or school counselor license, please apply to Advance to a professional principal or pupil services (school counselor) license. Note that you may choose to Align your new professional license to an active professional license (such as a teaching license). If aligned, the new professional principal or pupil services license will take on the validity period of the previously issued professional license. If you choose to Advance rather than to Align, your new professional license will be issued as a separate five-year license with a current effective date. Note that no coursework, work experience or exams are required for you to advance or align from your provisional principal or school counselor license.

Back to Top


If you have reading or phonics limitations listed on your license(s), you must complete all required coursework in the teaching of reading or phonics before advancing to a professional teaching license. Submit an official transcript from an accredited college or university reflecting the completed coursework requirements with the online application to advance your license.

Back to Top

How Do I Complete My Online APPLICATION?
  • Access your OH|ID account.
  • Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
  • Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard to Transition or to Advance your previously issued two-year provisional license.
  • See the FAQs About the Online CORE License System for additional information.

Related Links

Back to Top

Last Modified: 11/28/2023 12:41:32 PM