How to Transition a Certificate to a License
Ohio’s five-year professional license replaced the four-year provisional and eight-year professional certificates in 2002. Educators whose provisional or professional certificates have lapsed will complete the online application to Transition to the professional license (the option to renew the provisional or professional certificate will not be available). Educators must meet the following requirements to transition their certificates to professional licenses:
Coursework Requirements For Transitioning to a Professional License
- Coursework requirements for certificates that have lapsed: Nine semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education. Applicants do not need to seek pre-approval of coursework from the Ohio Department of Education. The Department DOES NOT pre-approve coursework. Renewal requirements are in place to keep educators abreast of best practices in the field and the latest research findings. Classroom dynamics change constantly, and continuing education helps teachers find new ways to reach students and help them succeed. All coursework must lead to new knowledge in the P-12 classroom and be related to student success, wellness or achievement. Renewal coursework must be relevant to classroom teaching or area of licensure. The Department will also consider coursework completed for an additional P-12 licensure area for renewal of an expiring license. Courses which provide credit for completing routine teaching duties and responsibilities and courses in which the curriculum is selected by the educator rather than the university will not be accepted, even if reflected on an official transcript from an accredited university.
- Dates of coursework: Educators must complete their renewal coursework after the issue date of the license they wish to renew.
If, during the lapsed period of the certificate, the educator is continuously employed under another valid, standard Ohio certificate or license, or as an educator in another state under a currently valid certificate or license, then the renewal requirements for Currently Expiring Licenses
Instructions for Submitting Official Transcripts
Educators must submit their official transcripts from an accredited college or university
reflecting the completed renewal coursework requirements. Applicants should review the Instructions for Submitting Transcripts
and short video tutorial
before uploading transcripts.
Pupil Services Certificate Transitions
Educators who hold a currently valid license issued by the respective Ohio licensure board may transition the following certificates to a five-year professional license:
- Occupational therapist
- Physical therapist
- School audiologist
- School nurse
- School social worker
- School speech-language pathologist
All applicants must have current background checks on file with the Department.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 3/14/2022 4:58:44 PM