The Ohio Department of Education issues one-year, nonrenewable reinstatement licenses under Ohio law1 to educators whose associate or professional licenses have lapsed for at least one year. The Department will issue the reinstatement license only at the request of an Ohio employing school district. Educators may only request a reinstatement license for the same subject(s) and grade level(s) as their expired associate or professional license. Please note that educators working under a reinstatement license are properly certified in the reinstatement licensure area while completing requirements to renew their expired associate or professional license.
Applicants and school districts may download and print the Reinstatement License Checklist for guidance through the licensure process.
Requirements for the Reinstatement License
Educators must meet all of the following requirements to be issued the reinstatement license:
- Hold an associate or professional license that has lapsed for at least one year
- Be in a position in an Ohio school or district requiring the license (the employing school district must approve the reinstatement license application)
- Have current background checks on file with the Department
Requirements to Renew Expired Associate or Professional Licenses
Educators are responsible for the design of an Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP), subject to the approval of their Local Professional Development Committee (LPDC), to ensure they complete renewal requirements before the one-year reinstatement license expires. Educators who complete one of the following requirements will then renew their expired associate or professional license:
- Nine semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching or the area of licensure, OR
- Twenty-seven continuing education units (CEUs) or 270 contact hours (or other equivalent activities) related to classroom teaching or area of licensure
Educators may complete a combination of coursework and CEUs or contact hours to renew their license(s). Please note that all coursework, CEUs or contact hours must be approved by the educator’s employing LPDC. The employing LPDC must approve the educator’s renewal application for the expired associate or professional license, provided all renewal requirements are met before the expiration of the reinstatement license.
Please note the reinstatement license is nonrenewable. Educators will need to meet renewal requirements and renew their expired professional license(s) to be properly certified for the next school year.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 1/14/2022 11:44:31 AM