Career-Technical Workforce Development Supplemental Teaching License
The supplemental teaching license allows educators who hold a currently, valid standard Ohio teaching certificate or license to teach in a supplemental area, at the request of an employing Ohio school district, while they are in the process of obtaining standard licensure for that area.
Note: Once an educator has been issued a supplemental teaching license for a particular licensure area or teaching field, the educator must complete the supplemental licensure program or the equivalent and be issued a standard teaching license in that area, prior to requesting a supplemental teaching license in another area.
Please review the list of available Career-Technical Workforce Development supplemental license types and teaching field codes before applying for the supplemental license.
Educators must meet the following requirements before the Department will issue the initial one-year supplemental license:
- Hold a currently valid, standard Ohio teaching certificate or license;
- Have five years of full-time work experience or the equivalent in the career field (verified by the employing Ohio school or district);
- Be employed in a teaching position requiring the supplemental licensure area in an Ohio school; AND
- Submit a completed Initial CTE-37 Form with the online application for the supplemental license.
- The employing Ohio school district initiates the CTE-37 form. The employing superintendent and the university official must sign the CTE-37 form.
Please note that the employing school or district shall assign a mentor to the individual holding a supplemental teaching license. The assigned mentor shall be an experienced teacher who currently holds a standard teaching license in the same, or a related, content area as the supplemental license.
Requirements for Renewal
Educators may renew their one-year supplemental teaching license two times to allow completion of supplemental licensure program requirements. Educators must meet the following requirements before the Department will renew the one-year supplemental license:
- Hold a currently valid, standard Ohio teaching certificate or license; AND
- Submit a completed Renewal CTE-37 form with the online renewal application for the supplemental license. The form must be signed by the employing superintendent and the university official to verify continuing progress in completing career-technical licensure program requirements.
Eligibility for a Professional License
Educators must complete all of the requirements outlined in section 3319.223
of the Ohio Revised Code; AND
- Submit an Advance CTE-37 form signed by the employing superintendent and the university official to verify completion of career-technical licensure program requirements.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 6/13/2022 1:45:14 PM