Early Childhood and Primary Childhood Supplemental Teaching Licenses
The supplemental teaching license allows educators who hold a currently, valid standard Ohio teaching certificate or license to teach in a supplemental area, at the request of an employing Ohio school district, while they are in the process of obtaining standard licensure for that area.
Note: Once an educator has been issued a supplemental teaching license for a particular licensure area or teaching field, the educator must complete the supplemental licensure program or the equivalent and be issued a standard teaching license in that area, prior to requesting a supplemental teaching license in another area.
This supplemental license is available for Early Childhood (PreK-3) and Primary Childhood (PreK-5).
Educators must meet the following requirements before the Department will issue the initial one-year supplemental license:
- Hold a currently valid, standard Ohio teaching certificate or license;
- Successfully complete the content assessment for the licensure area;
- Click here for information about educator license exams; AND
- Be employed in a teaching position requiring the supplemental licensure area in an Ohio school or district.
Please note that the employing school or district shall assign a mentor to the individual holding a supplemental teaching license. The assigned mentor shall be an experienced teacher who currently holds a standard teaching license in the same, or a related, content area as the supplemental license.
Requirements for Renewal
Educators may renew their one-year supplemental teaching license two times to allow completion of supplemental licensure program requirements. Educators must meet the following requirements before the Department will renew the one-year supplemental license:
- Hold a currently valid, standard Ohio teaching certificate or license; AND
- Be employed in a teaching position requiring the supplemental licensure area in an Ohio school.
Eligibility for a Standard License
Educators must choose ONE of the supplemental program options below. All eligibility requirements for either option must be met before applying for the standard license.
Option A requires completion of an approved, traditional teacher preparation program through an accredited college or university culminating in that institution's recommendation for licensure. Educators must contact the college or university for specific program requirements.
- See the list of accredited institutions with approved teacher preparation programs leading to licensure in Ohio here.
Option B requires all of the following:
- Pedagogy coursework: Educators must complete a grade level-specific pedagogy course for the requested licensure area (e.g., Early Childhood or PreK-3; Primary Childhood or PreK-5) through an accredited college or university;
- Reading/phonics coursework: Educators must complete 9 semester hours of coursework in the teaching of reading and a three-semester hour teaching of phonics course (in the context of reading, writing and spelling) through an accredited college or university;
- Exam: Educators must successfully complete the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) 090, Foundations of Reading exam;
- Click here for more information about the 090; AND
- Work experience: Educators must provide verification from the employing school or district of successful completion of a minimum of two years of mentored teaching in the licensure area while holding the supplemental license for that area. Educators must submit a letter, on district letterhead, signed by the superintendent of schools or the human resource director verifying dates of full-time employment, assignments and grade levels for each year of employment under the supplemental license.
It is recommended that educators who choose to complete Option B
request an evaluation by the Ohio Department of Education to determine which requirements must be completed for progression to the standard license. Educators may request the evaluation after
they have been issued the initial supplemental license. Click here
for the supplemental evaluation application.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 3/8/2021 2:44:09 PM