Primary Childhood Supplemental Teaching License
The supplemental teaching license allows educators who hold a currently, valid standard Ohio teaching certificate or license to teach in a supplemental area, at the request of an employing Ohio school district, while they are in the process of obtaining standard licensure for that area1. Applicants, schools and districts may download and print the Initial Supplemental License Application Checklist for guidance through the first steps of this licensure pathway.
Note: Once an educator has been issued a supplemental teaching license for a particular licensure area or teaching field, the educator must complete the supplemental licensure program or the equivalent and be issued a standard teaching license in that area, prior to requesting a supplemental teaching license in another area.
This supplemental license is available for Primary Childhood (PreK-5). Please review the required content area exam for initial licensure before applying for the supplemental license. Visit the Educator License Exams webpage for access to exam providers for exam information and registration.
Educators must meet the following requirements before the Department will issue the initial one-year supplemental license:
- Hold a currently valid, standard Ohio teaching certificate or license;
- Successfully complete the content assessment for the licensure area; AND
- Be employed in a teaching position requiring the supplemental licensure area in an Ohio school or district.
Please note that the employing school or district shall assign a mentor to the individual holding a supplemental teaching license. The assigned mentor shall be an experienced teacher who currently holds a standard teaching license in the same, or a related, content area as the supplemental license.
Requirements for Renewal
Educators may renew their one-year supplemental teaching license two times to allow completion of supplemental licensure program requirements. Educators must meet the following requirements before the Department will renew the one-year supplemental license:
- Hold a currently valid, standard Ohio teaching certificate or license; AND
- Be employed in a teaching position requiring the supplemental licensure area in an Ohio school.
Eligibility for a Standard License
Educators must choose ONE of the supplemental program options below. All eligibility requirements for either option must be met before applying for the standard license. Applicants, schools and districts may download and print the Checklist for Advancing a Supplemental License for guidance through the steps to advance from a supplemental to standard license.
Option A requires completion of an approved, traditional teacher preparation program through an accredited college or university culminating in that institution's recommendation for licensure.
Option B requires all of the following:
- Pedagogy coursework: Educators must complete a grade level-specific pedagogy course for the requested licensure area (Primary Childhood or PreK-5) through an accredited college or university;
- Reading and phonics coursework: Educators must complete 9 semester hours of coursework in the teaching of reading and a three-semester hour teaching of phonics course (in the context of reading, writing and spelling) through an accredited college or university;
- Exam: Educators must successfully complete the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) 190 Foundations of Reading exam; AND
- Work experience: Verification of a minimum of two years of mentored teaching in the licensure area while holding the supplemental license for that area is required. Educators must submit one of the following with the application to advance the supplemental license:
- A letter, on district letterhead, signed and dated by the superintendent of schools or the human resource director verifying dates of full-time employment, assignments and grade levels for each year of employment under the supplemental license; OR
- The Work Experience Verification form completed by the employing school or district human resources director or superintendent and submitted directly to the Department. School personnel may either email the completed form to email@example.com or mail it (originals only) to:
Ohio Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensure
25 S. Front Street
Mail Stop 504
Columbus, OH 43215
It is recommended that educators who choose to complete Option B
request an evaluation by the Ohio Department of Education to determine which requirements must be completed for progression to the standard license. Educators may request the evaluation after
they have been issued the initial supplemental license.
Military Fee Waiver for Supplemental Evaluations
Beginning November 11, 2022, the Ohio Department of Education has eliminated fees for supplemental evaluations to recognize the contributions of military families
. The fee for an evaluation for an Ohio supplemental license or endorsement will be waived for candidates who are veterans with honorable discharges or current service members of all branches of the United States Armed Forces; the National Guard or Reserve; and the Ohio Military Reserve or Ohio Naval Militia (under the Ohio Adjutant General). Spouses of active duty service members also may receive an evaluation for a supplemental license or endorsement free of charge. Candidates must complete and submit the Military Fee Waiver Application form
and the required military document or identification with their supplemental evaluation request application form.
Instructions for Submitting Official Transcripts
Educators must submit their official transcripts from an accredited college or university verifying their completed coursework or program requirements with the application to advance the supplemental license. Please review the Instructions for Submitting Transcripts and short video tutorial before uploading transcripts.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 11/3/2023 9:54:56 AM