The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching are the nation's highest honors for mathematics and science teachers. The program recognizes teachers for their contributions to instruction and learning, as well as their ability to help students make progress in mathematics and science. Awardees serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in the improvement of mathematics and science education.
Nomination and Application
Applications will be accepted for teachers of grades K-6. See timelines, eligibility criteria and apply online at paemst.org.
In addition to recognizing outstanding teaching in mathematics or science, the program provides teachers with an opportunity to build lasting partnerships with colleagues across the nation. This growing network of award-winning teachers serves as a vital resource for improving science, technology, engineering and mathematics education, and keeping America globally competitive.
Who is eligible in 2024?
- K – 6 teachers:
- Nominations open in the fall of 2023.
What Presidential Awardees Receive
- A citation signed by the President of the United States;
- A paid trip for two to Washington, D.C., to attend a series of recognition events and professional development opportunities; and a $10,000 award from the National Science Foundation.
2020 Awardees (Grades K-6)
Krystina Pratt – Math (3rd Grade)
New Albany Primary School,
New Albany-Plain Local Schools
“Receiving the Presidential Award is the proudest achievement of my life. This award represents countless hours spent learning, planning, and collaborating to bring innovative mathematics experiences to my students. I could not have earned this award without the support of my school district; professional development from the Teaching & Learning Collaborative and Tech Corps; and all of the administrators, mentors, and colleagues who have helped me grow as an educator.”
Stephanie Nowak – Science (4th Grade)
Fairfax Elementary School,
Mentor Exempted Village Schools
“It is an honor to be among such an extraordinary group of teachers dedicated to providing meaningful learning experiences for their students. Accomplishing this confirms the importance of integrating science across content areas so that students understand that everything is connected and that we can make a difference! This award recognizes my deep commitment to providing quality, hands-on, inquiry-based science education for all my students. I feel blessed to receive this prestigious award.
2023 Ohio PAEMST Finalists (Grades 7 – 12)
- Joshua Amstutz (high school) Winton Woods City Schools
- Shanti Coaston (high school) Westlake City Schools
- Anna Taylor (middle school) Highland Local School
- Tara Zechman (high school) Perrysburg Exempted Village School District
- Annette Drake (middle school) Brookville Local Schools
- Zachary Smith (high school) Tri-State STEM+M Early College High School
- Karen Suder (high school) Summit Country Day School
Last Modified: 9/15/2023 9:51:40 AM