Exploring Leadership Year
Participation in the Leadership Year
Resident educators must complete four years of the Resident Educator Program. Local Resident Educator Programs establish the specific activities required for teachers participating in the fourth program year and determine the policies and procedures for documenting activities. Documentation should be maintained locally.
The Role of the Colleague during the Leadership Year
A colleague works with resident educators who are in their final year of residency and are exploring leadership within the district. The colleague helps resident educators transition from residency to a 5-year Ohio professional teaching license. The colleague and resident educator plan and implement local leadership activities within the school, district, or state. The colleague should work closely with the district program coordinator to fully understand the local requirements of serving as a colleague.
Colleagues should ensure they are familiar with the Resident Educator Program in general. They should stay up-to-date by reviewing the latest Program Orientation Presentation (Summer 2020).
Activities during the Leadership Year
An online module titled Exploring Teacher Leadership is available to engage resident educators in exploring and thinking about leadership.
- To access Exploring Teacher Leadership, please go to your Ohio Department of Education OH|ID account. Once you are signed into your OH|ID account, choose Learning Management System and click on ok for "navigating to an external application". This will bring you to the department's Learning Management System (LMS). You may then choose this course from the Course Catalog.
Additional suggestions for teacher leadership opportunities include, but are not limited to, the list below:
- Prepare to work with a Local Professional Development Committee
- Deepening Content Expertise
- Create and teach an interdisciplinary unit
- Assume and document a leadership role in a department team, teacher-based team, or data team
- Model instruction for year 1 or 2 resident educators
- Explore National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certification
- Collegial Professional Explorations
- Organize and participate in a lesson study with at least one colleague
- Organize and conduct a professional book study with at least one colleague
- Co-teach with a Year 1 or 2 resident educator
- Meet with the Local Professional Development Committee (LPDC) to learn about the expectations and responsibilities of professional licensure, learn about the processes and requirements of the LPDC, and consider professional goals to establish for an Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP)
- Teacher Leadership
- Lead a school academic initiative (e.g., day to celebrate famous people or events)
- Lead a school initiative to engage the community (e.g., celebrate local veterans, collect contributions for charity, organize visits to community centers)
- Organize or assist in a student academic competition at the school or district level
- Organize and facilitate a special day to engage families and caregivers in student learning opportunities
- Assist a state-trained mentor in supporting a resident educator cohort
- Serve as a peer observer
- Explore the Ohio Teacher Leadership Framework
Last Modified: 8/31/2020 4:53:42 PM