Ohio High School Equivalence

Individuals who are 18 and older, withdrawn from school and have not earned a high school diploma are eligible to take the high school equivalency tests. Individuals who are 16 and 17 years old, are eligible to test with parental consent (include documentation), and a current school withdrawal form signed by a school official. Students must register online for the test of their choice and submit all required documentation to the Department’s Ohio High School Equivalence Office. If you are unable to submit a signed withdrawal form because your community school is closed, you may submit a letter stating your desire to take a high school equivalency test. Please include the name of the last school you attended and your last date of attendance. The Department of Education will verify withdrawal information through the community school’s sponsor.

  • Information on how to register to take the GED is available here.
  • Information on how to register to take the HiSET test is available here.

On June 14, 2016, Gov. John R. Kasich signed into law under Sub. House Bill 113 changes to the High School Equivalency Office. The primary goal of these changes is to increase options for test takers. Ohio Revised Code 3301.80 and 3301.81 and Ohio Administrative Code 3301-41-01. The changes are as follows:

  • Allowed the Ohio Department of Education & Workforce to approve at least two nationally recognized high school equivalency tests. The approved testing assessment companies as of 2017 are: GED and HiSET;
  • The Ohio High School Equivalence Diploma will be recognized as the Ohio Certificate of High School Equivalence as of Sept. 14, 2016. All previously awarded Ohio High School Equivalence Diplomas will still be considered valid; and
  • Age requirement changed for 16-, 17- and 18-year-old test takers including:
    • A test taker who is 16, 17, or 18 will be eligible to test under the following guidelines:
      • Officially withdrawn from school and has not received a high school diploma or honors diploma; and
      • A test taker who is 16 or 17 years of age must submit a consent form signed by either the parent, guardian or court official; and
      • Send the consent  and current school year withdrawal form signed by a school official to: State of Ohio HSE Office, Ohio Department of Education & Workforce, 25 S. Front Street, MS 622, Columbus, Ohio 43215




 Testing Centers Preparation Centers
Order Official Transcripts and Duplicate Diplomas Forms
Applying for the GED Test Applying for the HiSET Test
Voucher Codes - Career Planning Districts


Last Modified: 11/28/2023 7:40:55 AM