Ohio High School Equivalence
Individuals who are 16 and older, are withdrawn from school and have not earned a high school diploma are eligible to take a high school equivalency test. Parental consent also is required for those who are 16 or 17 years of age. Students must register online for the test of their choice and submit all required documentation to the Department’s Ohio High School Equivalence Office. If you are unable to submit a signed withdrawal form because your community school is closed, you may submit a letter stating your desire to take a high school equivalency test. Please include the name of the last school you attended and your last date of attendance. The Department of Education will verify withdrawal information through the community school’s sponsor.
- Information on how to register to take the GED is available here.
- Information on how to register to take the HiSET test is available here.
On June 14, 2016, Gov. John R. Kasich signed into law under Sub. House Bill 113 changes to the GED Office. The primary goal of these changes is to increase options for test takers. The law will not go into effect until Sept. 14, 2016. The changes are as follows:
- Allow the Ohio Department of Education to approve at least two nationally recognized high school equivalency tests. The approved testing assessment companies as of 2017 are: GED and HiSET;
- The Ohio High School Equivalence Diploma will be recognized as the Ohio Certificate of High School Equivalence as of Sept. 14, 2016. All previously awarded Ohio High School Equivalence Diplomas will still be considered valid; and
- Age requirement change for 16-, 17- and 18-year-old test takers including:
- A test taker who is 16, 17, or 18 will be eligible to test under the following guidelines:
- Officially withdrawn from school and has not received a high school diploma or honors diploma; and
- A test taker who is 16 or 17 years of age must submit a consent form signed by either the parent, guardian or court official.
September 14, 2016 - UPDATE
Last Modified: 5/6/2021 2:27:00 PM