On October 9, 2012, the State Board of Education adopted Ohio’s new Birth – Kindergarten Entry Early Learning and Development Standards in all domains of school readiness to reflect the comprehensive development of children beginning at birth through entry into kindergarten. The standards were expanded as part of a collaborative effort of state agencies serving young children including Ohio Department of Education, Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, Ohio Department of Health, Ohio Department of Mental Health, Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities, and the Governor’s Office of Health Transformation. The state agencies worked with national experts and writing teams made up of Ohio-based content experts and stakeholders to revise and expand the standards in the following domains. Click on the content or developmental areas below to access the standards.
These new standards describe key concepts and skills that young children develop during the birth-to-five-year period. Their purpose is to support the development and well-being of young children and to foster their learning. The standards promote the understanding of early learning and development, provide a comprehensive and coherent set of expectations for children’s development and learning, and guide the design and implementation of curriculum, assessment and instructional practices with young children.
Timeline for Implementation
- Programs and teachers become familiar with the new standards.
- Professional development is designed and deployed to support implementation of the new standards.
- Model curricula and other supports are developed by partner state agencies.
- Standards-Curriculum-Assessment-Alignment (SCA-A) Tool and accompanying professional development is created by partner state agencies.
- Early childhood programs align adopted curriculum to the new standards using revised SCA-A Tool.
- New standards in all domains are integrated into early childhood programs.
- On-going professional development is available to support implementation.
Questions? Please contact ELSR@education.ohio.gov or 614-995-9974.
Please click here to access more information about Ohio’s Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge Grant.