List of Approved Assessments
List of Approved Assessments
Current List of Approved Assessments |List of Approved Assessments FAQ | Vendor Contact Information Form
Request for Qualifications: Alternative Standardized Assessments for Grades 3-8
The Ohio Department of Education announces a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for assessments meeting specific criteria to be used by chartered, nonpublic schools in Ohio for the 2019-2020 school year. This request is in response to ORC § 3301.0711(K) (effective October 17, 2019), which directs the Department to approve assessments that may be used in place of the Ohio State Tests by those schools serving Ohio scholarship or voucher students.
The tested grade and content combinations are as follows:
- Grades 3-8 English language arts
- Grades 3-8 Mathematics
- Grades 5 and 8 Science
The Department seeks assessments that have internal consistency reliability coefficients of at least 0.8; are standardized; have specific evidence of content, concurrent, or criterion validity; measure student achievement in core academic areas; and have high validity evidenced by the alignment of the assessment with Ohio Learning Standards and demonstrate scoring comparability with Ohio’s Limited, Basic, Proficient, Accelerated and Advanced performance levels. Specific criteria are found in the RFQ.
Vendors responding to this RFQ will be evaluated solely on fitness for this new assessment approval area. Approved assessments may be used by schools to meet testing requirements for the 2019-2020 school year.
An additional RFQ will be released for consideration of assessments for other uses (gifted identification, growth measures, alternative high school graduation assessments, K-3 diagnostic reading, etc.). This common RFQ will be similar to those released in recent years and will approve assessments for the 2020-2021 school year.
Applications due: January 31
Special Note Regarding Accessibility:
The Ohio Department of Education is dedicated to making information posted on these webpages accessible, in accordance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. We will be making improvements to portable document format (PDF) documents so that documents are more accessible. In the meantime, those needing assistance may contact (877) 644-6338. The second document is accessible except for certain charts and illustrations.
2019-2020 List of Approved Assessments
The Common Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is a unified process designed to help districts strategically identify vendor assessments for multiple purposes. The Ohio Department of Education has reviewed vendor proposals submitted in response to the RFQ for assessments in the following areas:
- Comparable Assessments to Ohio’s Diagnostic Assessment for the Third Grade Reading Guarantee (K-3 Diagnostic);
- Alternative Standardized Assessment for the Third Grade Reading Guarantee (Alt Reading);
- Alternative High School Graduation Assessments for Chartered Nonpublic Schools (Alt HS);
- Teacher and Principal Evaluation Component (Growth Measure);
- Student Survey Instruments for Teacher Evaluation (Student Survey);
- Gifted Prescreening and Identification.
The RFQ process is not a competitive procurement. All vendor proposals meeting minimum criteria for their assessment areas are listed with the assessments for which they were approved. Please note that some assessments are not approved for all uses at all grade levels or content areas. These assessments can be administered by districts and schools beginning in the 2019-2020 school year.
2018-2019 List of Approved Assessments
The Ohio Department of Education reviewed vendor proposals that were submitted in response to the department’s Common RFQ for assessments for use by Ohio school districts in the following areas:
- Comparable Assessments to Ohio’s K-3 Diagnostic Assessment for the Third Grade Reading Guarantee
- Alternative Standardized Assessment for Third Grade Reading
- Alternative High School Graduation Assessments for Chartered Nonpublic Schools
- Teacher and Principal Evaluation: Qualifications for Student Assessments to be used by Ohio Districts for a Portion of Teachers’ and Principals’ Evaluations
- Student Survey Instruments for Use in Teacher Evaluation
- Identification Instruments for Students Who are Gifted
- Prescreening Instruments for Students Who are Gifted
This was not a competitive procurement process. All vendor proposals that met the minimum criteria in the Common RFQ are listed below with the assessments for which they were approved. These can be administered by districts and schools beginning in the 2018-2019 school year.
2017-2018 Lists of Approved Assessments
Given the number of concerns raised by districts that already purchased tools for the 2018-2019 school year prior to the release of the new list, the Department will offer a “grace period” for previously approved assessments across all areas covered by the Common RFQ. The Department will allow the use of previously approved assessments for the 2017-2018 school year through June 30, 2019. Districts also can use the newly approved assessments for the 2018-2019 school year. After June 30, 2019, districts can only use the assessments on the new list.
- Vendor Contact Information Form - Please use this form to submit or update contact information if you wish to receive updates and notifications about future assessment opportunities.
Last Modified: 1/29/2020 11:55:58 AM