STEM – Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
The goal of STEM schools is to foster intellectual, entrepreneurial and technical talent. This is vital to Ohio’s future economic growth and prosperity, which depends on an aligned education system to support the state’s economic development efforts and that helps all Ohio students become innovators and inventors, self-reliant and logical thinkers and technologically proficient problem solvers. The Ohio Department of Education is a partner in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) focused on the infusion of high-level mathematics and science into curriculum. Connected work with the Office of Career-Technical Education includes Project Lead The Way, Automated Materials Joining Technology and equalizing career field enrollment among gender, race, ethnicity and special populations.
STEM School Designation
The STEM Committee designates science, technology, engineering and mathematics schools based on proposals submitted to the committee. Proposals will be reviewed by the committee and the Ohio STEM Learning Network. Proposals for STEM schools must include at least all of the following:
- evidence of a working partnership with both public and private entities, including higher education entities and business organizations;
- evidence that the school submitting the proposal will offer a rigorous, diverse, integrated and project-based curriculum to students in any of grades kindergarten through twelve, with the goal to prepare those students for college, the workforce, and citizenship, and that
- emphasizes the role of science, technology, engineering and mathematics in promoting innovation and economic progress, incorporates scientific inquiry and technological design,
- includes the arts and humanities, and
- emphasizes personalized learning and teamwork skills.
The Fiscal Year 2018 STEM School Application is now available here on the department's STEM web page. Completed applications for new STEM designations must be submitted to the department by 5:00 p.m. February 24, 2017.
The Ohio STEM Learning Network hosted a technical assistance webinar on December 8, 2016, for all schools interested in applying for STEM designation. Click here to access a recording of the webinar.
STEM School Legislation
Last Modified: 1/10/2017 11:02:19 AM