The Purple Star Award
The Purple Star Award for military-friendly schools recognizes schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military. Schools that earn the award will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display onsite.
A school will be honored with the Purple Star Award if it completes all the required activities, plus one optional activity, listed below. The Purple Star Advisory Board, formed by the Ohio departments of Education, Higher Education, Veterans Services and the Adjutant General, helps decide a school’s eligibility for the award.
The Ohio Department of Education is taking Purple Star Award applications now through 5 p.m. August 11. Award recipients will be announced in mid-September. For schools that cannot meet the application deadline, a second-round for applications opens September 18. More program details, including how to apply, are available here.
How to Qualify
- The school must have a staff point of contact for military students and families who serves as the primary liaison between them and the school.
- The liaison completes professional development on special considerations for military students and families under federal law.
- The liaison identifies and informs teachers of the military-connected students in their classrooms and the special considerations military families and students should receive.
- The school maintains a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
- The school provides professional development for additional staff on special considerations for military students and families.
- The local school board passes a resolution publicizing the school’s support for military children and families.
- The school hosts a military recognition event that demonstrates a military-friendly culture.
See more details on the award, including how to apply.
See resources for military families.
Last Modified: 7/17/2017 4:06:34 PM