Ohio’s Kindergarten Readiness Assessment
New Resource: KRA Quick Guide for School Administrators
Public districts and schools will continue to administer the current KRA. Senate Bill 216 did not eliminate or require changing the KRA. The bill, in Section 5, does require the Early Childhood Comprehensive Assessment Advisory Group, by September 1st, 2019, to study and make recommendations on ways to improve the use and administration of the assessment.
At the beginning of each school year, children in public and community school kindergarten programs are assessed using Ohio’s Kindergarten Readiness Assessment. This assessment includes ways for teachers to measure a child’s readiness for engaging with instruction aligned to the kindergarten standards.
Ohio’s Early Learning and Development Standards (birth to kindergarten entry) are the basis for the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment. The Kindergarten Readiness Assessment is used to assess four areas of early learning:
- Social Foundations- including social and emotional development, and approaches toward learning
- Language and Literacy
- Physical Well-being and Motor Development
The Language and Literacy portion of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment can be used to meet the reading diagnostic assessment requirement of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee. To meet the diagnostic requirement, teachers must complete the Language and Literacy portion by Nov. 1.
The KRA is intended to be administered to kindergarten students starting the first day of school or the first day that schools and districts take attendance for students who are enrolled in kindergarten with the administration ending on November 1. Continuing for the 2019-2020 school year, public districts have the option to begin the administration of KRA selected response and performance task items up to two weeks prior to the first day of kindergarten. The administration window closes on Nov. 1.
- KRA Annual Report 2014-2015 – This report includes results from the FY15 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
- KRA Annual Report 2015-2016 – This report includes results from the FY16 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
- KRA Annual Report 2016-2017 – This report includes results from the FY17 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
- KRA Annual Report 2017-2018 - This report includes results from the FY18 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
Results of the 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, and 2018-2019 Kindergarten Readiness Assessment for each public school district and community school in Ohio are available here
and include overall readiness scores, as well as the four sub-areas of Language and Literacy, Social Foundations, Mathematics, and Physical Development and Well-Being. Step-by-step directions are available to learn how to find released KRA data
Learn more about Ohio's Kindergarten Readiness Assessment
Last Modified: 9/13/2019 12:44:36 PM