Blue Ribbon Schools
The No Child Left Behind – Blue Ribbon Schools Program (NCLB-BRS) is a national recognition program, honoring elementary and secondary schools in the United States that make significant progress in closing achievement gaps or whose students achieve at the highest levels in their state. Through this program, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) recognizes and presents as models these elementary and secondary schools.
USDOE allows the Ohio Department of Education to nominate 14 public schools each year. At least five of these 14 must have 40 percent or more students who qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. There are two categories for nomination:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools - performing in the top 15 percent of schools in the state as measured by state assessments in both reading and mathematics.
- Schools with Exemplary Improvement - showing the most progress in reducing achievement gaps and in improving student performance as measured by state assessments in both reading and mathematics, and that have at least 40 percent of their students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The schools with 40 percent or more poverty may fall into either category. Schools with less than 40 percent poverty only qualify for the high performing category.
Once nominated by ODE, these public schools must apply to USDOE for this award. In keeping with No Child Left Behind, the application focuses primarily on student performance and scientifically based instructional programs.
USDOE invites the Council for American Private Education (CAPE) to nominate private schools that meet the high performing and exemplary improvement criteria for recognition. Private schools interested in being nominated apply directly to CAPE.
2015 Blue Ribbon Public School Awardees
- Amherst, Amherst Junior High School
- Sherwood, Fairview Middle School
- Goshen, Goshen High School
- Columbus, Hamilton Township High School
- Beachwood, Hilltop Elementary School
- Lynchburg, Lynchburg-Clay Elementary School
- Cortland, Maplewood Middle School
- Loudonville, R. F. McMullen Elementary School
- Hamilton, Ross High School
- Columbus, Saint Agatha Catholic School
- Lima, Shawnee Maplewood Elementary School
- Columbiana, South Side Middle School
- Bay Village, Westerly Elementary School
- Wyoming, Wyoming Middle School
2014 Blue Ribbon Public School Awardees
- Albion Elementary School, North Royalton City, Cuyahoga
- Avondale Elementary School, Plain Local, Stark
- Brookville High School, Brookville Local, Montgomery
- Charles L Seipelt Elementary School, Milford Exempted Village, Clermont
- Columbus Preparatory Academy, Ohio Council of Community Schools, Franklin
- East Elementary School, Mount Vernon City, Knox
- Fort Loramie Elementary School, Fort Loramie Local, Shelby
- Ironton High School, Ironton City, Lawrence
- Perrysburg High School, Perrysburg Exempted Village, Wood
- RC Waters Elementary School, Benton Carroll Salem Local, Ottawa
- Versailles Middle School, Versailles Exempted Village, Darke
- West Branch High School, West Branch Local, Mahoning
2014 Blue Ribbon Private School Awardees
- Norwalk Catholic Elementary, Norwalk, Huron
- Notre Dame Elementary School, Chardon, Geauga
- Saint Brigid of Kildare Elementary School, Dublin, Franklin
Last Modified: 7/18/2016 8:49:06 AM