How to Apply for a Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship
Parents whose children have the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship can access their student scholarship information online in the parent portal near the bottom of thid page. The parent portal allows real-time access to information such as application status, progress reports and monthly invoices.
STEP 1: Review Eligibility Criteria
Generally, any student who has been identified as a child with a disability and for whom the district has created an individualized education plan (IEP) qualifies for the JPSN scholarship program.
When the student has been identified by their public district as a child with a disability, the child's evaluation team report (ETR) from the district states that the child requires special education and related services under the Individual with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEA).
The student must also have a current IEP from the district of residence that is finalized and all parties, including the parent, must be in agreement with the IEP.
A child is eligible to apply to participate in the program when the child is eligible to enter school in any grade from kindergarten through twelve, and if the child meets all other program eligibility requirements.
Parents of eligible students must first register with a participating Peterson Scholarship Provider.
The amount of each scholarship will be based on the disability identified on the student’s ETR.
The provider will have the required application forms and will assist the parent in the scholarship application process.
STEP 2: Find a Provider
If a student is eligible for the Jon Peterson Special Needs (JPSN) Scholarship Program, the first step is to select a participating JPSN Scholarship Provider to serve their child’s educational needs.
- Click on "Search Provider," to find a school in your area.
- From the Scholarship Dashboard, click on the Select Program link in the upper left of the screen and select Jon Peterson.
- Once on the Provider Search Page, select the county and other search criteria from the drop-down menu. Then click the Search button.
- All of the participating providers that meet your search criteria should be showing.
- To get the contact information, view services offered and verify the staff credentials for a specific provider, click the magnifying glass icon located at the end of the record with the provider's name.
If the provider accepts the student for enrollment, the parent can obtain the scholarship application form from their provider.
How to Renew
THE SCHOLARSHIP RENEWAL PERIOD BEGINS FEBRUARY 1 OF EACH SCHOOL YEAR.
Students who are currently receiving a Jon Peterson Special Needs scholarship can renew the scholarship as long as they meet the following requirements:
- They take all required state achievement tests for their grade level.
- Continue to be identified as having a disability by their resident school district; and
- Have a current individualized education program (IEP).
Parents of renewal students who meet these requirements must complete a Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship form and submit it to the private school/provider that their child will attend for the school year.
Last Modified: 9/26/2023 10:48:31 AM