What is STEM Education?
STEM education is a learner-centered approach to teaching providing students with a problem-based, transdisciplinary, and personalized learning experience. STEM education uses the foundational practices and skills essential to the core disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Humanities, and Mathematics.
These essential skills challenge students to think critically, design solutions, and make evidence-based explanations through real-world authentic learning experiences. STEM education creates meaningful pathways to post-secondary success for K-12 students through partnerships and career exploration with community entities.
STEM Education has the unique ability to help students overcome obstacles to learning by providing inclusive, accessible, and culturally-responsive learning experiences to engage students at every level, accelerate learning through transdisciplinary experiences and innovative approaches to teaching, and prepare our students for future success through the use of relevant, real-world learning experiences that encourage the development of life skills such as empathy, effective collaboration and communication, and critical thinking skills, that impact outcomes for students in all fields, not just traditional STEM disciplines. This work will impact every Ohioan and help our entire state workforce thrive at all levels. We know that our partners are passionate about making this shared goal a reality in our state, but there has not been an opportunity to objectively assess the current state of STEM in Ohio or bring all interested parties together for purposeful alignment and collaboration.
So, while STEM technically stands for "Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics," STEM Education is really about so much more than the disciplines and content. The goal of STEM and STEAM schools is to foster intellectual, entrepreneurial and technical talent through design thinking. This is vital to Ohio’s future economic growth and prosperity. Making this future a reality requires an aligned education system to support all Ohio students become innovators and inventors, self-reliant and logical thinkers, and technologically proficient problem solvers.
Interested in learning more? Please contact STEM@education.ohio.gov.
Are you interested in applying for STEM or STEAM designation? Please fill out our Intent to Apply form.
Use the circular graphic and buttons below to navigate to the Ohio Department of Education's STEM Education website:
- The Quality Model for STEM and STEAM Schools: A framework that provides additional context and guidance around creating a culture for learning, innovating learning and teaching practices, and creating pathways to success in careers.
- STEM and STEAM Designation: A list and map of the current STEM and STEAM Designated Schools, the Rubric used to assess applications, and additional information about each year's application cycle.
- Resources: Links to Professional Development, organizations leading STEM education initiatives, and other resources.
- STEM Financial Reporting: Five-year forecasts for the eight Independent STEM Schools in Ohio.
- STEM Committee: A list of the members of the committee and recorded meeting minutes.
STEM Contact Information
Please email STEM@education.ohio.gov
Last Modified: 12/4/2023 10:47:19 AM