STEM and STEAM School Designation
FY2023 STEM and STEAM School Designation
The Ohio STEM Committee, Ohio STEM Learning Network and the Ohio Department of Education are committed to ensuring each child in Ohio is challenged, prepared and empowered. STEM and STEAM education provides an opportunity for each child to discover and learn, pursue a fulfilling post-high school path and to become a resilient, lifelong learner who contributes to society.
STEM and STEAM education is an integrated approach to learning where rigorous academic concepts are learned through real-world, project-based experiences. Students use science, technology, engineering, arts/humanities and mathematics concepts to make authentic connections between school, community and work experiences. The Ohio STEM and STEAM School Designation was created to award and recognize schools that are exemplars of this work.
STEM and STEAM schools employ highly effective teachers and leaders who meet the needs of the whole child. In addition, these schools have well-established partnerships with businesses, non-profit organizations, institutes of higher education and other entities in their communities to prepare students for post-high school success.
The STEM and STEAM Designation application is aligned with Each Child, Our Future – Ohio’s strategic plan for education, Ohio’s Quality Model for STEM and STEAM Schools and section 3326 of Ohio law.
Current STEM and STEAM Designated Schools
Here is a printable list of STEM and STEAM designated schools.
STEM and STEAM Designation Materials
- September 1, 2022: Application Opens in SlideRoom.
- October 17, 2022: Deadline to complete the Intent to Apply Survey (closed).
- If you are interested in applying for this year's cycle but missed the deadline for the Intent to Apply Survey, email STEM@education.ohio.gov for information.
- November 23, 2022: Deadline to sign up for the free in-person OSLN Technical Support Workshop ("Deep Dive Session"). This is strongly encouraged for schools interested in Designation.
- December 7, 2022: Technical Support Workshop ("Deep Dive Session") occurs.
- February 17, 2023: Deadline to complete SlideRoom Application. OSLN will contact schools that complete the SlideRoom Application to schedule the Site Visit.
- March - April 2023: Site Visits will be conducted during this time.
- April - May 2023: Applicants will be notified of the Ohio STEM Learning Network’s recommendation.
- May 10, 2023: The Ohio STEM Committee will vote on applicants for STEM and STEAM Designation.
Last Modified: 1/25/2023 11:57:00 AM