STEM and STEAM School Designation
FY2022 STEM and STEAM School Designation
The Ohio STEM Committee, Ohio STEM Learning Network and the Ohio Department of Education are committed to ensuring each child in Ohio is challenged, prepared and empowered. STEM and STEAM education provides an opportunity for each child to discover and learn, pursue a fulfilling post-high school path and to become a resilent, lifelong learner who contributes to society.
STEM and STEAM education is an integrated approach to learning where rigorous academic concepts are learned through real-world, project-based experiences. Students use science, technology, engineering, arts/humanities and mathematics concepts to make authentic connections between school, community and work experiences. The Ohio STEM and STEAM School Designation was created to award and recognize schools that are exemplars of this work.
STEM and STEAM schools employ highly effective teachers and leaders who meet the needs of the whole child. In addition, these schools have well-established partnerships with businesses, non-profit organizations, institutes of higher education and other entities in their communities to prepare students for post-high school success.
The STEM and STEAM Designation application is aligned with Each Child, Our Future – Ohio’s strategic plan for education, Ohio’s Quality Model for STEM and STEAM Schools and section 3326.03 of Ohio law.
Current STEM and STEAM Designated Schools
Here is a printable list of STEM and STEAM designated schools.
STEM and STEAM Designation Materials
- October 1st: FY22 Application Posted
- December 15th: Complete this survey to inform the Ohio Department of Education and the Ohio STEM Learning Network on your intent to apply and if technical assistance will be pursued.
- January 15th: Submit a rough draft of the application/portfolio to the Ohio STEM Learning Network for technical assistance. Email rough drafts to email@example.com. You will receive feedback on your draft application in time to make changes prior to the final submission to ODE.
- February 19th: Final applications due to the Ohio Department of Education by 5 p.m.
- March 2021: After a preliminary review from the Ohio STEM Learning Network, site visits to selected schools will be conducted during the spring (March/April). A school may also request a site visit when submitting their application.
- April 2021: Applicants will be notified of the Ohio STEM Learning Network’s recommendation.
- May 2021: The Ohio STEM committee will vote on designated schools.
Last Modified: 8/4/2021 10:21:56 AM