Liaisons Supporting Students Living in Foster Care
Foster care education liaisons support the identification, enrollment and access to academic and non-academic services for students in foster care.
The local foster care education liaison:
- Coordinates with the local custodial agency point of contact,
- Creates and maintains local processes and procedures for best interest determinations that are inclusive of the student placed into foster care and properly documented,
- Ensures proper identification of foster care students in EMIS based on change in placement for child,
- Facilitates records transfer and immediate enrollment and data sharing,
- Develops and coordinates local transportation procedures,
- Manages disputes related to best interest determination and transportation cost,
- Provides professional development for school personnel to help identify, support and engage students in foster care, and
- Supports the full engagement and participation in school activities for all students in foster care, in accordance with the Foster Youth Bill of Rights.
Ohio’s Foster Care Checklist can be used to support these duties.
Ohio Department of Education Supports for Students in Foster Care
Ohio Department of Education Transportation Supports for Students Living in Foster Care
Last Modified: 8/10/2023 8:49:51 AM