Announcing the 2023 Teachers of Ohio Representing Character and Heart
During surprise school meetings and assemblies across the state, 2018 Ohio Teacher of the Year Jonathan Juravich honored the 2023 Teachers of Ohio Representing Character and Heart (TORCH) recipients on behalf of the Ohio Department of Education. Each year, five teachers are recognized with the honor for their compassion for students and families and dedication to their communities. Congratulations to these remarkable honorees:
- Mary Miller, Leader in Me teacher at Belpre Elementary School in Belpre;
- Carrie Burnworth, music teacher at Mt. Pleasant Elementary School in Lancaster;
- Denise Robertson, French and humanities teacher at Tippecanoe High School in Tipp City;
- Bryan Trego, social studies at Botkins High School in Botkins;
- Kathy Patron, speech, debate and communications teacher at Perry High School in Massillon.
Learn more about the 2023 TORCH recipients on the Department’s TORCH webpage.
The TORCH program celebrates teachers who model strong personal character and concern for their students, colleagues and communities. Recipients positively influence others while modeling excellence for the profession.