In-service Training Ideas
Ohio school bus drivers and transportation aides shall participate in a minimum of four hours of annual in-service training. Drivers of vehicles other than school buses shall participate in a minimum of two hours of annual in-service training. Keeping in-service training sessions interesting and relevant is often a challenge. We have provided a list of ideas below that districts must include one or more annually to be in compliance with OAC 3301-83-10(B).
- School bus and commercial driver license requirements
- Public and staff relations
- Equipment and care, including the operation of adaptive equipment needed to safely transport pre-school and special needs children
- Driving the bus
- Defensive Driving
- Highway/railroad grade crossing safety
- Pupil management, including bullying behaviors
- Safety and emergency procedures
- Use of first aid and blood borne pathogens equipment
- Transporting pre-school and special needs children
- Motor vehicle laws and Ohio pupil transportation operation and safety rules
- Signs, signals, and pavement markings
- Fuel conservation
- Radio/cellular communications
- Detailed route sheets
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) specific to transportation personnel in accordance with OAC 3301-35-15.
A list of in-service training ideas may be found by visiting Allen County ESC. The original document is posted to the Allen County ESC's bus driver training page, and has been compiled by the Northwest regional pre-service instructor, Joe Dietrich.
Last Modified: 4/28/2022 7:13:26 AM