Physical Education Evaluation 2016 to Present
The State Board of Education originally adopted National Physical Education Standards in December 2007. Moreover Ohio-made benchmarks and indicators were added in June 2009. Recently, the standards, benchmarks, and indicators were updated to reflect changes in the national standards and feedback provided by Ohio teachers. These updated standards were adopted by the State Board of Education on July 14, 2015. Ohio’s Academic Content Standards in Physical Education are made up of five standards:
Ohio Physical Education Standards
- Standard 1: A physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard 2: A physically literate individual applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 3: A physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 4: A physically literate individual exhibits responsible, personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 5: A physically literate individual recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
For the definition of a physically literate individual click here
Ohio Physical Education Benchmarks and Indicators
The benchmarks and indicators that were adopted in July 2015 within the Physical Education Academic Content Standards, which can be viewed here .
The PDF file below allows you to view the Physical Education Academic Content Standards in three different layouts: Alignment of Benchmarks and Indicators by Standard; Grade Band Overview by Standard and Organizer; and Alignment of Standards by Grade Band. It also contains introductory sections and a glossary. An instructional commentary and a resource list will be added in the future.
- Academic Content Standards (coming soon)
Word versions of the Academic Content Standards document appear below as separate files for each particular section of the document. These files are provided for those who wish to copy, paste or edit the content to use in lesson plans or curriculum documents. The content is the same as the full document although there may be some differences in formatting and pagination depending on the word-processing application being used.
Last Modified: 5/21/2019 1:38:34 PM
Pursuant to ORC 3301.079 (B) (3) and 3313.60, it is the responsibility of Ohio's local boards of education to vet and approve curriculum and educational materials for use in the public schools within their district. The use of any materials posted or linked to on the Ohio Department of Education website, including materials within Ohio’s Learning Standards or Appendices or any state model curricula or other educational resource material, is entirely up to the discretion of each local board of education.