Whole Child Resources
Ohio’s Whole Child Framework provides a blueprint schools can use to meet the mental, behavioral, physical health, wellness, nutrition and safety needs of Ohio students. Below are links to information and resources to support schools in providing whole child supports to students.
A Whole Child Approach
When students are healthy, feel safe, are supported through strong systems and relationships, are challenged and experience success and are engaged in learning that is relevant and meaningful, they are more likely to enjoy learning, develop positive social skills and achieve greater success.
Below are resources to support a whole child approach:
- ASCD Whole Child Approach - The Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development provides information on a whole child approach and resources to support educators.
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides an overview of a whole child approach and explains the alignment of the public health and education sectors’ goals for improving each child’s cognitive, physical, social and emotional development.
- Whole Child Policy Toolkit - The Learning Policy Institute designed a toolkit to give state policymakers and education leaders a set of strategies, tools and resources to advance whole child policy and systems change.
- Student Wellness and Success Funds and Disadvantaged Pupil Impact Aid - This webpage provides guidance and answers important questions surrounding the use of Student Wellness and Success Funds and Disadvantaged Pupil Impact Aid in the establishment of programs and services to support the needs of the whole child.
- OCALI - The Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence (OCALI) inspires change and promotes access to opportunities for people with disabilities.
- Ohio Latino Community Resources - Latino Community Resources connects the diverse Latino communities across the State of Ohio by serving as a hub of information for and about Hispanic Ohioans by hosting meetings, conducting surveys, promoting collaboration, encouraging communication and endeavoring to assure access to decision-making bodies.
Below are resources to ensure each student enters school healthy and learns about and practices a healthy lifestyle:
- Virtual Healthy School Tool - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention designed the Virtual Healthy School Tool, an interactive tool that demonstrates how schools can support health and academic achievement of students.
- School Health Program - The Ohio Department of Health, School Health Program is committed to making all Ohio children healthy, ready to learn and prepared to make lifelong healthy choices.
- Ohio School Health Services Association – The Ohio School Health Services Association is dedicated to the growth and success of school-based health programs and services that contribute to both the well-being and achievement of their respective student bodies.
- Health Education - Ohio law directs schools and districts to include health education and other related topics at various times through the K-12 curriculum.
- Physical Education and Physical Activity - Ohio has five academic content standards in physical education to ensure students demonstrate competency in the areas of physical activity, movement and respectful personal and social behavior.
- Tobacco-Free Schools - The Ohio Department of Health offers tobacco prevention resources to schools and districts.
- The Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance - The Ohio Association for Health Physical Education, Recreation and Dance is committed to keeping Ohioans healthy and active by providing lifelong learning and professional development, leadership, service and advocacy.
Below are resources to ensure each student learns in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe for students and adults:
- Ohio School Safety Center - The Ohio School Safety Center the Ohio School Safety Center is responsible for assisting local schools and first responders with preventing, preparing for, and responding to threats and acts of violence, including self-harm, through a holistic, solutions-based approach to improving school safety.
- Safer Ohio School Tipline - The Safer Ohio School Tip Line is a free safety resource available to all Ohio schools. The tip line is an anonymous reporting system that accepts both calls and texts 24 hours a day.
- National Center on Safe and Supportive Learning Environments - The National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments offers information and technical assistance to States, districts, schools, institutions of higher learning and communities focused on improving school climate and conditions for learning.
- Trauma-Informed Schools – This webpage provides information on what trauma is, how it impacts students and steps districts and schools can take to become trauma-informed.
- Preventing Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs): Leveraging the Best Available Evidence (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a guide on preventing adverse childhood experiences.
- Prevention Education – This webpage contains information on prevention education in Ohio.
- Human Trafficking Prevention – This webpage provides messaging, visuals, fact sheets and posters on human trafficking and links for additional information to raise statewide awareness.
Below are resources to ensure each student is actively engaged in learning and connected to the school and broader community:
Below are resources for schools and districts to support each child in learning and connecting to the school and broader community:
Below are resources to ensure each student is actively challenged in learning and connected to the school and broader community.
- Accelerated Learning - This page provides resources for schools and districts on how to provide students with more, and more effective, opportunities to learn. This page includes summer learning and afterschool opportunities, intensive mathematics and literacy tutoring supports and more to accelerate learning.
- Student Recovery Dashboard - The Student Recovery Dashboard is a tool designed to better understand the impact of the pandemic on Ohio's students and progress towards academic recovery.
- Career Tech - The Career Tech webpage provides information, guidance and resources on customized learning paths that align to students' passions and career aspirations. The webpage provides links to explore career fields, information on earning industry credits and resources on planning, funding and accountability.
- Literacy - The Literacy webpage shares Ohio's Plan to Raise Literacy Achievement, the Science of Reading, Literacy Academy and much more.
Last Modified: 9/15/2023 1:22:13 PM